Sailing is one of the few sports where anyone can participate! The Sailability Program offers an additional level of support, an established network of volunteers, and equipment to assist people of all abilities to Discover Sailing. It is an international program first introduced in to Australia in the 1990’s, which has grown to be available in every state.
Here are some of the ways sailing is inclusive:
- Variety of boat types and designs including Hansas that are accessible to all abilities.
- Instructors are able to adapt their teaching methods to suit individuals of all abilities.
- Equipment to assist those with limited mobility to get in and out of boats.
- Accessible docking areas
- Affordable options to participate
- Events for people of all abilities to participate
- The Sailing Pathway for people of all abilities to progress through
At the Boatshed we strive to offer an affordable price for individuals and groups to get on the water. We are constantly looking to expand our volunteer network to help out with groups. If suitably qualified volunteers are unavailable, we utilise our paid instructors to run the sessions. This involves setting up boats, rescue boat driver, dock marshal, pack up and most importantly teaching participants how to sail.
For more information on sailability please visit www.sailabilityvictoria.com.au
At The Boatshed, we offer :
- Learn to sail courses with dates available at www.theboashed.net.au. Adapted equipment is available if required.
- Group sessions
- Sessions for individuals (Fridays)
- Private bookings by appointment ($75/hr)
Have a relaxing sail under the guidance of our qualified instructors with the help of our wonderful volunteers. This is where people can come and go for a sail without having to be involved with a group. Sailability sessions for individuals are available on Fridays:
- 9:30 – 10:30
- 12:30 – 1:30
- 1:30 – 2:30
Sessions cost $30 and bookings must be made in advance by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 03 9088 7207.
Docklands Yacht Club also offer Community Sailing Days usually held on the second and fourth Sunday of the month, year round. (check their calendar page for exact dates). The cost of the day is $20 per person or $40 per family.
Group sailing sessions are available throughout the week with a number of Sailability groups already using the lake and you can see these below. Group sailing is run by our qualified instructors who are experienced in teaching people of all abilities.
Cost of Group Sailability
|Number of Participants/ Boats||1hr Cost||2hr Cost|
|Under 6 Boats||$140||$255|
To book a group time contact us on 03 9088 7202 or email email@example.com